If you’ve had the chance to use glitter nail polish before, you know how it instantly transforms plain-looking, colored nails into works of art. There is something infinitely exciting with using these nail products, whether you’re using clear glitter nail polish on top of your favorite nail polish shade, or you’ve found that vivid nail polish with glitter to go with an equally fabulous outfit. The possibilities of customizing how your nails will look are virtually endless with glitter nail polish!
There is a wide array of glitter nail polish products out in the market today, providing consumers with a nail polish shade for every occasion. If you have the time and the inclination, you may want to try your hand in mixing and coming up with your own glitter nail polish – you’ll be surprised at how easy it actually is. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll be able to experiment with different colors and glitter sizes, such as the silver holographic glitter for example, to your heart’s desire.
Just follow the steps below, and you’re on your way to making your very own glitter nail polish:
- Decide on the nail polish base you want to use for your glitter nail polish. You may use your favorite vivid color, or a clear base – whatever suits your fancy is perfectly fine. However, if you want the glitters to really stand out, you can try a clear nail polish base first.
- Look for the smallest-sized glitters available in your art supply stores. You can choose any glitter color for your glitter nail polish, but just make sure that it complements the nail polish base you will use – you don’t want the colors to clash.
- Use a small funnel to transfer the glitters to the bottle of nail polish; it is best if the bottle is not entirely full, to allow some space for the glitters to settle. If a small funnel is not available, you can a piece of wax paper twirled into a cone shape to make your glitter nail polish.
- Pour a small amount of glitter on the funnel, onto the nail polish bottle; after this, give the bottle a little shake to evenly disperse the glitters. You can add more glitters if you want your nail glitter polish to have more texture and brilliance.
- You can now apply your customized glitter nail polish, preferably to freshly-cleansed nails. To achieve the most dazzling effect, put at least one layer of clear top coat on top of the glitter nail polish; this will also make sure that the glitters will adhere nicely to your nails.
- Secure the glitter nail polish cap tightly, to ensure that the polish will remain easy to apply. If the nail polish does get a little bit sticky and hard to apply, you can mix some nail polish solvent or thinner until you get the desired consistency again.
There are some people who are hesitant to use glitter nail polish because it can be difficult to remove. Regular nail polish (without the glitters) can easily be removed by any nail polish remover in the market; however, the glitters are a different matter, and oftentimes present a challenge during removal time. Even those who use clear glitter nail polish experience the glitter challenge. Here are some tips on how to remove the stubborn glitters from your nails:
- Use a nail polish remover with mild acetone content. The acetone will help in effectively loosening and eventually removing the glitters from your nails
- Soak a cotton ball with the nail polish remover
- Position the thoroughly soaked cotton ball on top of your nails, and gently press down for a few seconds
- Gently but firmly glide the cotton ball down your nail; most of the glitter nail polish should come off this way. Repeat the process until you get all the glitters off your nails.
You may find glitter nail polish intimidating to use, especially if you are used to having your nails done in muted nail polish shades. However, if you want to let your inhibitions loose (at least as far as your nails are concerned), using nail polish glitter is one of the best ways to do so. Who knows, you might end up enjoying the carefree feeling you will have while sporting dazzling, glittery nails!